CellWaves is excited to offer this scholarship to a technologically minded undergraduate student each year. We want to support the education of a deserving student who also shares our passion and curiosity for what wireless communications will become in the future.
About CellWaves Wireless
CellWaves is an organization led by industry veterans who built out the cellular infrastructure that is now known as the cell phone network used throughout the United States. CellWaves assists property owners whose properties are being used as cell towers or rooftop cell sites to provide voice and data (3G, 4G/LTE, 5G wireless data services). Wireless carriers, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint, are the usual wireless tenants on our clients’ properties. Our leadership team has more than seventy-five years of combined experience, and we are constantly evolving with changing demands. By keeping ourselves in tune with the ideas of the next generation of thinkers, we can ensure that we stay grounded by our past and able to think broadly about our future.
$1,000 to be funded in the winning applicant’s account with the college or university of his/her choice.
You have been accepted to a college or you are enrolled as a current undergraduate student. The scholarship funds shall be deposited directly to a college institution (community college, university, college) as directed by the winning applicant. Graduating high school students who are college bound are encouraged to apply.
Please write an essay of no more than 1,000 words about your ideas on how wireless innovations may evolve ten years in the future to change the way we live, play, communicate, socialize, or advance our thinking. The wireless topic is intended to promote innovative and creative thinking on a broad range of topics involving wireless communications. Applicants choose which areas to write about. Below are sample topics about which applicants may want to share his/her thinking in the essay:
- Wireless communications—a right or a privilege?
- Standardized compensation to cell tower property owners
- Wireless device revolution or evolution ten years from now
- Wireless apps that are not available today
- Competition in wireless communications—do we need more or fewer national wireless carriers?
- Connected vehicles and the implications
- Social advances and the price of a connected society
- Political implications of a connected society
- Human factor engineering affecting the shape, size, and use of future devices
- Connected human beings without external devices
All essays shall have accompanying videos to read, explain, or elaborate on the written work. Videos shall be limited to five minutes maximum. Typically, unrehearsed videos are the best. We are not judging video postproduction skills (though stable high-resolution videos will be helpful). Rather, we are seeking better clarification of the written work.
- Each video shall be uploaded to YouTube and shared with the CellWaves Scholarship Committee through an unlisted link.
- The video link shall be shared at the same time as the written essay is submitted.
- By applying for this scholarship, you confirm your admission and attendance at a college or university and authorize CellWaves to confirm your attendance by contacting the institution for verification.
- Deadline for all applications is May 1, 2018.
- The winning candidate will be announced by July 31, 2018.
- Funding shall be made by August 31, 2018, in the applicant’s name directly with the college or university.
- One submission per candidate.
- Email to:
- In the body of the email, please provide the unlisted YouTube video link.
- Attach three documents:
- The essay (not more than 1000 words)
- The application form (download here)
- Proof of college admission to any college or university listed on the official website of the U.S. Department of Education. https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/GetDownLoadFile.aspx. Students at trade schools and vocational education institutions also qualify to apply.
CellWaves and its representatives will not knowingly sell or rent your contact information to anyone for any purpose other than to process your scholarship application.
No one from CellWaves will ever contact you for any purpose other than relating to the scholarship application.
By applying to this scholarship, you give CellWaves express consent to:
- Confirm your admission and attendance by contacting the college or university you listed.
- Share your essay submission publicly.
- Share your video submission publicly.
- Share your name and college publicly.
- Share information regarding your age, year of school, area of study, and other relevant information that you provided in the application form.
- Retain all email communications in order to process or respond to your inquiries or application as it relates to the scholarship.
The winning candidate will be selected based on the creativity, originality, and passion as communicated in the applicant’s submitted essay and video.
This scholarship is available annually. Any applications made after the deadline will be submitted for the following school year. For example, applications received by CellWaves on or before May 1, 2017, will be entered in the 2017–2018 school year. Applications received by CellWaves after May 1, 2017, will be automatically entered in the 2018–2019 school year.
Terms and Conditions
All submitted photos, videos, and essays must be original work of the applicant. Only one submission may be entered per student, per year. All scholarships are nonrenewable. By submitting an application to the CellWaves, Inc. Scholarship, you certify that all the information you have provided is accurate and complete.
The applicant grants CellWaves, Inc., its agents, and/or representatives permission to:
- Use applicant’s name, photo, essay response, and award amount, if any, in announcements or articles (g., social media, newsletter) issued by CellWaves.
- Post the applicant’s name, college or university, video, and essay on cellwaves.net web site.
- Communicate with applicants regarding their scholarship applications.
- Winners will be notified by email and announced publicly as well as on CellWaves, Inc. social media pages.
Students must show proof of enrollment to an accredited U.S. college, university, or vocational/trade school within five (5) calendar days of winning selection by submitting either a copy of the tuition bill or a letter of proof from the school. In the event a winner cannot prove their enrollment to an accredited college, university, or vocational/trade school, CellWaves will revoke the award for that individual and award it to the first runner-up.